This is very much a janky earlydays project. All help is welcome!
An interactive map tool. A tool for collaborative planning on maps. Anyone can create new maps, and add, modify and delete locations on any map.
To install all dependencies for the front and backend :
$ npm install
You will then need to create a
.env file in the root folder. There is a
.env.template that you can copy as a guide. For a dev server you can simply copy and paste the template leaving it as is.
Then migrate the database structure :
$ npm run migrate:latest
Then you should be able to run the dev server :
$ npm run dev
You should now be able to access ethermaps on http://localhost:3000 (or whichever port you configured in your
Database models, and queries are handled by objection.js ORM built on top of knex. During dev the database defaults to an Sqlite3 db, and then during production it will be able to handle whichever database you choose. For now it has only been setup to work with PostgreSQL.
Live data is shared with the client using socket.io.
Map rendering is done with leaflet.
Live rendering of users is done with socket.io-client.
For the developer environment and future building, the frontend is managed by Vite.
Minimal viable functionality for this project is the following :
- Anyone can create a map
- Anyone can create, modify and delete points on a map that contain at least
- name of point
- notes on said point
- Everyone can see current users live
- users can choose their name
- users can choose their cursor colour
- user data should be remembered across visits
Things that ethermap should/could do in the future :
- edits are all recorded
- users can chat
- users can also draw polygons and make labels that are not necessarily "points of interest"
- notes should be rich
- note updates should also be "live"
- notes should be attributed to users who wrote/edited them
- osmAnd Sync!